All intern positions are voluntary and full time. The duration of the position varies from 2 months to 6 months. 5 days per week. 30-50 hours per week. Schedules are rotating and include days, evenings and weekends. All are welcome to apply but preference will be given to intern applicants with a demonstrated interest or education in animal care, wildlife rehabilitation, conservation, biology, ecology or zoology, Internships run from April to September. If you have other commitments (ie school, work) let us know in advance and we will try to schedule accordingly.
Internship at Saunders Country will provide on-the –job training in basic animal care skills. The internship is intense, physically demanding, repetitive and very fast paced. Interns will learn about and be involved in all aspects of animal care including but not limited to:
- Cleaning, Maintaining, enclosures for a wide variety of species
- Care & Enrichment of Various Species
- Grounds Keeping within the various enclosures
- Species Identification
- Preparing the food and diets for various species
- Learning how to work safely around and with minimal stress to the animals
- Proper techniques and procedures to prevent disease transmission
- Assist with Medical Care
- Assist with Manicures & Pedicures of all species
- Assist with the administering of Medications
- Safe handling and restraint of various species
- Socialization of various species
- Providing Nutrition/Bottles to infant species on a Rigid Schedule
- Ability to recognize when an animal just isn’t right
- Sharing your knowledge about the various species with the public.
In Order to apply you must be:
- Committed to the length of the internship
- Minimum age of 18
- Self-Motivated with a genuine interest in working with all species of animals.
- Mature, Reliable, Punctual.
- Work well under pressure combined with the ability to multitask.
- A sincere interest to learn
- Very observant, detail oriented.
- Ability to handle the emotional impact of death & euthanasia.
- Physically strong and healthy.
- Possess a Sense of Humor as some days we really need it.
- Possess a valid or willing to obtain a CPIC (Police Check)
- Rabies and Tetanus Vaccines
Please email resume email@example.com with cover letter explaining why you are interested in joining our team, Please indicate your length of commitment as well as preferred dates between April and September.